Knee replacement, or knee arthroplasty, is substitution of severely damaged knee joint with artificial prosthesis. Most often this kind of surgery is indicated to patients with osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis or traumatic joint injury. As a rule, knee arthroplasty is performed in patients over 50-60 years old. Nevertheless, adolescents with full-blown rheumatic pathology will benefit from the intervention as well.
High-quality surgery relieves patient’s complaints and makes life-long painkillers intake unnecessary. After the course of rehabilitation a person does not have any discomfort or limitations in physical activity. In 6 weeks after the treatment a patient can undergo MRI and travel by plane.
When you should think about knee replacement surgery
The first step in treatment of knee joint pathology is drug therapy, physiotherapy from likes of Ck physio and using braces. At the early stages of arthrosis conservative approach gives good results, improving joint function significantly. Nevertheless, you should consider knee replacement surgery if you have:
- Severe knee pain, including pain at rest.
- Limitation of usual physical activity, including walking, bending and squatting.
- Knee deformity, fixation of the knee in a certain position (flexion or extension).
- Knee inflammation or/and effusion.
- Intolerance to painkillers.
- Absence of satisfactory effect from painkillers.
- Absence of satisfactory effect from other non-surgical therapeutic measures.
Total knee replacement is performed after the thorough investigation of joint structure and function. Preoperative preparation includes physical examination, blood tests, X-ray and MRI. Based on the results, a surgeon chooses appropriate prosthesis. Knee prosthesis consists of three components – metal thigh part, titanium lower leg part and plastic-based coating on shin part (spacer). Correctly implanted prosthesis fully restores function of hip and knee.
Orthopedic treatment in Germany
Orthopedic surgery and traumatology are among the most sought-after medical destinations in Germany. Undergoing knee replacement surgery in best hospitals of the country has a number of important benefits:
- Minimally invasive interventions, absence of scars.
- Smooth postoperative period without pain syndrome.
- High quality prostheses with long service life (over 20 years on average).
- Early rehabilitation and attention to general health state.
- Early avoiding walking aids, restoring full joint range of motions.
According to annual qualification reports, success rates and patients’ reviews, list of specialized hospitals that offer best knee replacement surgeries in Germany include:
- University Hospital Carl Gustav Carus Dresden, Department for Adult and Pediatric Orthopedics, Trauma Surgery.
- Charite University Hospital Berlin, Department of Musculoskeletal Surgery.
- University Hospital Heidelberg, Department of Adult and Pediatric Orthopedics, Traumatology.
- University Hospital Rechts der Isar Munich, Department of Adult and Pediatric Orthopedics, Sports Medicine.
- Orthopedic Center Munich East, Department of Orthopedics.
Leading German hospitals perform surgeries in patients of all ages, adjusting operating techniques to patient’s needs and designing individual prostheses.
Cost of surgery and arrangement of treatment
Cost of treatment in Germany is calculated individually for each patient, as German specialists consider person’s age, general health, state of bones and soft tissues near the joint, volume of preoperative examination, type of prosthesis, etc. Different types of interventions also have different prices:
- Knee arthritis diagnosis – from 1,200 €.
- Total knee replacement – from 12,700 €.
- Total knee replacement with rehabilitation – from 16,500 €.
When it comes to foreign patients’ treatment, putting on the waiting list for knee replacement surgery in the German clinic has certain peculiarities. A patient needs to receive the official invitation from hospital, prepare documents, take care about trip, accommodation, communication with German-speaking doctors, etc. It is much more effective and reasonable to use help of Booking Health – the only certified medical tourism operator.
Booking Health provides qualified assistance in:
- Choosing the right hospital from the best ones.
- Booking appointment on the necessary date, reducing the waiting period.
- Elaboration of the preliminary medical program, including preoperative tests.
- Providing favorable treatment and rehabilitation costs, without overpricing for foreign patients (saving up to 50%).
- Monitoring medical program at all stages, providing help 24/7.
- Control of invoices and return of unspent funds.
- Offering service of the highest level: booking accommodation and plane tickets, transfer organization, interpreter services.
Should you leave the request on the Booking Health website, our medical coordinators will contact you the same day and guide through the whole process of treatment abroad.